Friday, March 27, 2009

Women's Day/Soldier's Day Karaoke and Bolor's Birthday

On March 8 and March 18 Mongolia celebrates Women's Day and Soldier's Day (respectively). My department celebrate both holidays as well as the birthday of our chair, Bolor. I guess Women's Day is a UN-sponsored holiday, but I also heard that both holidays were also Soviet inspired. The day following karaoke night Bolor generously invited me to her home and there is a photo of her playing the guitar (sorry, my posting is a bit out of order). Karaoke in Mongolia is a lot like karaoke in, well...not quite like 'Pitchers' for the A-town folk. There were lots of Russian and Mongolian songs and some English (Beatles were popular). I gave a not-so-stirring rendition of Bowie's 'Ziggy Stardust'. For those of you who are language learners, I highly recommend karaoke. It is a great way to learn vocabulary and practice pronunciation while drinking vodka and eating kimchi.








No comments:

Post a Comment